We have just come off of a great weekend of photography classes, which was made even better as we came home each day to this little Strawberry Poke Cake number. Wow, is this light and creamy little dessert strawberry-licious!
My husband Rod and I spend most of our weekends out and about in San Diego teaching manual photography to anyone who wants to better themselves with their cameras. While many people are eager for the weekend to come for their highly anticipated days off, Rod and I gear up for our ‘work’ time. I quote that because when you do what you love ~ and love what you do, the word ‘work’ has a whole new meaning. I feel very fortunate to be able to build a business with my husband and share in this photographic journey with someone who holds the same passion as me. Yes, life is exciting.
This past weekend was no exception for fun and joy. We held five classes and did a photo shoot. We dragged ourselves home each night weary, hungry and exhilarated. Quick dinners on the weekend are a necessity and this weekend (thanks to a Friday cooking frenzy) we also had this special Strawberry Poke Cake treat. What a wonderful flavor to look forward to.
This cake is as easy as it is delicious. Using a white cake mix, a box of jell-o and adding fresh strawberries and whipped cream is a flavor match made in heaven. While I made my own whipped topping, you could easily use an 8-ounce container of whipped topping to simplify this recipe even more (though, I am partial to the homemade version). And it’s pretty to look at … don’t you think … and can hold itself up to even the most elaborate meal.
I am really happy to be able to spend my weekends outside with my husband doing what we love best. I am inspired by the wonderful people we meet who strive to push themselves in their photography. And I’m really happy we had this cake waiting at home for us. It was the ‘strawberry’ on top of a perfect weekend.
- White cake mix (plus ingredients listed on box to make it)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 3-ounce package Strawberry Jell-o
- ½ cup cold water
- 1½ cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioner's sugar
- 1½ teaspoon vanilla
- Sliced Strawberries
- Prepare white cake mix as package directs in a 9x13 pan.
- Cool for 15 minutes and pierce cake with a fork at ½ inch intervals. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine jell-o with boiling water. Stir until it is completely dissolved.
- Add cold water to jell-o mixture.
- Slowly pour jell-o mixture on top of cake, allowing mixture to seep into the holes. Cover and refrigerate 3 hours.
- Whisk heavy cream, sugar and vanilla together until stiff peaks form.
- Spread whipped mixture on top of cake.
- Arrange strawberries on top of whipped topping.
- Cover and refrigerate for an hour or until ready to serve.
(Adapted from Kraft.)