My dad loved meatballs and while he was perfectly happy with them perched on top of spaghetti, my mom wasn’t stopping there. She constantly looked for alternative ways to make and serve meatballs. I am a lot like my dad. I could eat spaghetti and meatballs all the time. Thank goodness for my mom who pushed to expand our taste experiences, because without her I may never have known that meatballs could taste great made in other ways … and without spaghetti.
‘Taste’ in point … these sweet and sour meatballs. They have captured my ‘spaghetti and meatballs obsessed’ attention. They are savory, tangy and deliciously sweetened with luscious brown sugar. Did I ever tell you how much I love brown sugar? And now I get to eat it on a meatball? Yum. Pass me some more, please.
Plus, they make for a quick and easy dinner. Looks like a win-win-win to me.
Sweet and Sour Meatballs
You may use frozen meatballs (thawing them first) or make your own. I like to use 1/2 batch of my homemade meatballs. They are super delicious and since I store them in half-batches of 36 in the freezer they also come in handy, making meals like sweet and sour meatballs super quick and easy. Just remember to take them out of the freezer to thaw before using.
To make the sauce, add the ketchup, brown sugar, worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, white vinegar and mustard to a large pan over medium-high heat. Whisk the ingredients together until they are smooth and well blended. Bring the sauce to a boil, stirring occasionally.
Now, add in the meatballs and use a wooden spoon to stir them into the sauce until they are completely coated. Let the meatballs simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes or until they are heated through.
Serve over a bed of steamed rice with a side salad and you have a quick and easy delicious meal.
- ¾ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 36 Meatballs - make your own Meatballs or use thawed, frozen meatballs
- 3 cups steamed rice
- In a large pan on medium-high heat, whisk together all of the ketchup, brown sugar, worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, white vinegar and mustard until well blended.
- Bring the sauce to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Add the meatballs, stirring until completely coated with the sauce.
- Simmer uncovered about 20 minutes, or until the meatballs are heated through.
- Serve over a bed of rice.